Netgear N300 Router Review
To develop the reach of your WiFi connection, you want a reliable router that may cowl even the toughest to achieve spots in your house. Netgear has been making good wi-fi routers because the late 90s. Including to the record of their merchandise that we are going to be reviewing is the Netgear N300 wi-fi router. It’s a kind of older routers by Netgear however nonetheless helps a 2.4GHz WiFi. It has additionally been promoting for fairly low costs on e-commerce websites like Amazon. We’d say it’s fairly spectacular for these searching for price range however dependable routers.
Netgear N300 Router Specs:
- Wi-Fi transmitters/receivers (Tx/Rx)—2×2 (2.four GHz)
- Helps Wi-fi Multimedia (WMM) primarily based QoS
- IPv6 Help (Web Protocol Model 6)
- IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz
- 5 (5) 10/100 (1 WAN and four LAN) Quick Ethernet ports with auto-sensing know-how
- Broadband (cable, DSL) Web service and modem with Ethernet connection
- 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz wi-fi adapter or Ethernet adapter and cable for every computer
- Use with an N300 Wi-fi USB Adapter (WNA3100) for optimum efficiency
Netgear N300 Features
As talked about, the Netgear N300 is without doubt one of the earliest routers manufactured by Netgear. It’s comparatively cheaper than any of the routers out there but additionally comes with restricted features. Nonetheless, these features are nonetheless related to at present’s requirements. On this a part of the article, we are going to undergo a few of every that will help you determine if this router is best for you.
2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi
The Netgear N300 comes with a 2.4Ghz wi-fi frequency. Whereas most routers as of late already begin transport with a 5GHz band alongside the two.4GHz, some folks nonetheless choose the two.4GHz as a result of it has higher space protection. Whereas it’s slower than the 5GHz frequency band when it comes to obtain velocity, the two.4GHz has ok velocity for bigger room space, reaching as much as 300Mbps for the Netgear N300.
The Netgear N300 comes with a LED mild indicator to make it simpler to troubleshoot the system ought to customers encounter some issues. This can be a primary characteristic for Netgear routers; therefore, virtually each Netgear routers is formatted with the identical LED indicator indicators. The next will point out the router’s standing by way of LED:
- Off – if the power LED in your router is off, then it’s extra doubtless not receiving power.
- Stable inexperienced – if the power LED in your router is lighting strong inexperienced, this means that it’s prepared.
- Stable amber – Once you apply power to the router, the Energy LED lights ought to flip strong amber inside just a few seconds. This means that it’s powering on and is operating a self-test.
- Blinking inexperienced – a blinking inexperienced power LED both means your router’s firmware is upgrading or the Reset button was pressed.
- Off – if the Web LED is turned off, no Ethernet cable is connected between the router and the modem.
- Stable inexperienced – if the Web LED lights strong inexperienced, this implies the Web connection is prepared.
- Stable amber – if the Web LED lights strong amber, this implies the router detected an Ethernet cable connection to the modem.
- Off – if the WiFi LED is turned off, this implies the wi-fi radio is off.
- Stable inexperienced – whether it is simply strong inexperienced, then WiFi radio is working efficiently.
Comes with Parental Controls
When you have youngsters in your home and wish to make sure that they’re solely accessing the correct websites, the Netgear N300 is an effective price range choice. It presents Parental Controls, which you’ll entry on its dashboard. Right here’s how setup a dwell Parental Controls in your Netgear N300:
- Launch your most well-liked net browser and enter www.routerlogin.internet or www.routerlogin.com on the handle discipline. Upon loading, a login display screen will seem.
- Enter the router username and password. By default, the username is “admin”, whereas the default password is “password”. Observe that the username and password are case-sensitive.
- After efficiently logging in, the BASIC Dwelling display screen will show.
- From there, choose Parental Controls, and click on both the Home windows Customers or Mac Customers button.
- Simply observe the onscreen directions to obtain and set up the NETGEAR Dwell Parental Controls administration utility. Don’t fear, it’s free and it comes along with your Netgear N300.
- After set up, launch the Dwell Parental Controls, though in some instances, it can mechanically launch.
- Click on the Subsequent button, and browse the observe. Click on the Subsequent button once more to proceed.
- As a result of Dwell Parental Controls makes use of free OpenDNS accounts, you might be prompted to log in or create a free account.
Choose a radio button as follows:
- If you have already got an OpenDNS account, go away the Sure radio button chosen.
- In the event you shouldn’t have an OpenDNS account, choose the No radio button.
After that, click on the Subsequent button.
- To proceed, full all of the fields and click on the Subsequent button. After you go surfing or create your account, and can present totally different filtering ranges.
- Excessive – protects towards all adult-related websites, criminality, social networking websites, video sharing websites, phishing assaults and normal time-waster.
- Reasonable – protects towards all adult-related websites, criminality, and phishing assaults.
- Low – protects towards pornography, and phishing assaults.
- Minimal – protects solely towards phishing websites.
- None – nothing blocked.
- Choose a filtering degree and click on the Subsequent button. Wait till the Setup is Full display screen shows.
- Click on the Take me to the standing display screen button. Parental controls at the moment are arrange for the router. The genie BASIC Dwelling display screen shows Parental Controls as Enabled.
Features a lot of ports.
Similar to some other Netgear routers, the Netgear N300 presents an entire set of ports. It has 4 Ethernet ports on the again and a single Web port. You may simply join as much as 4 units on the Ethernet ports like a computer, laptop, and different client devices similar to online game consoles, Google Chromecast, and tv. In the event you don’t wish to use Netgear N300 as a router, you need to use it as a switch. Sure, you need to use the router as a switch.
Conclusion – Netgear N300 Router Review
While the Netgear N300 is an outdated WiFi router, it has many features that also work in at present’s customary. The two.4GHz WiFi, whereas vulnerable to interference, nonetheless works simply positive, given you place it on the correct spot. We additionally love the free Parental Controls dashboard, which lets customers observe and block web sites their youngsters’ entry in real-time. However I believe the best factor in regards to the router is that it’s accessible wherever on-line for lower than $50! If that’s not a steal, we don’t know what’s. Sure, it’s outdated and fussy, nevertheless it works simply positive. Good for individuals who want a brand new router however don’t wish to spend greater than $100.